Friday, September 7, 2012

Nefidean: Curiosity

Oh how my body ached. It had been almost three weeks since the Tamini Centaurs attacked Shaemoor. Three weeks since I've been dubbed "Hero of Shaemoor" mostly by my fellow nobles. I did not see most of the fighting that day. True I did stand by Captain Thackeray when the the Tamini attacked the garrison and my magic helped bring down the Earth Elemental, but there were others, so many others, who did more then I. 


Still it did not stop my friend Lord Faren from throwing a splendid celebration party. I'm not sure why the bandits took an interest in us that day. I mean sure we had plenty of money, and any one of us would be worth our weight in gold for a ransom. However, the risks that went into such a brazen attack is still something I have been puzzled about. I was able to prevent the kidnapping of my egocentric friend, and as one thing lead to another, we had helped freed more people that the bandits had captured. I have been helping the Seraph investigate the matter and have been making small progress with this. However helping the farmers and citizens in the near by  Beeteltun area. As I had said the three weeks of labor were taking it's toll on me. 

Fighting Centaurs and bandits, making antidotes for poisons and fighting off bees are not what I imagined when I determined myself to helping the people our land. The work was back breaking and hard, but the pain had some sweetness to it, knowing I was helping where others could not. I've seen more of our land in Queensdale that I've seen in my life in Divinity's Reach. There was so much openness to the world. So much beauty I've never taken the time to see before now, and part of all this travel has made me feel... free.
Today I had planed to take a bit of a break. My body needed the rest. I planed on taking a trip to Claypool along the river bed. The Clayent Falls we cool and fresh and almost Skale free if you knew where to go. Life never goes as easily as planed. 


I had met a curious fellow on the way. A large slender man dressed in green with a white mask. At fist I took him just as that, a man, until he came closer to me and I noticed that he was in fact a Sylvari. There race was a bit older then I, and I was almost 20. Their numbers were still quite low, and I had yet to meet one in person. I pray that all Sylvari are not like him. He mentioned that he was trying to get away from his "mother"  


"A large tree, deep roots, doesn't move much so you can't miss her. Still I keep moving just in case." 


I assumed he was talking about the Pale Tree. I had heard stories of the Pale Tree, the quintessential mother to all Sylvari. Yet he referred to her in such a... a human way that it caught me off guard. 


"That's, uh.. nice I suppose." I struggled not sure what the proper way to speak to this man would be. 


"Are you from around here? I'm exploring right now, well looking more specifically. Do you have any string?" He rambled a bit excitedly.


"String?"

"Yeah, preferably in a ball, like yarn."


"No." I answered quizzically. "One normally does not carry a ball of yarn around. Unless you're a tradesman.  Why do you need a ball of yarn?"


"I heard there's a place in Ascalon where there are kitties!" He said excitedly again. I could tell his eyes were shining behind the his mask.  


"The Charr?"


"Yes! You heard of them! I wanted to get a ball of yarn to go play with them!"


"Are you Mad!" I cried.


"No, I am quite content actually." He said a bit confused.


"That's..." I sighed exasperated. "That's not what I meant. If you'll excuse me, I must get going. Mind the Drakes. They have a habit of wanting to eat things that move." I warned before heading along my path again.


"I've noticed..." He murmured warily before he fallowed me. "I'll just follow you then."


I felt myself shiver in side. If he was going to follow me, it would mean an end to my calm and peaceful day....


No comments:

Post a Comment